Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding is not as easy as it seems. Although, I have gotten the hang of it, I still think of it as a tedious task. I did try to breastfeed as much as I can but there simply isn’t enough breast milk.

I heard a lot of stories from others, who said that they were dripping wet with breast milk everyday and that they could pump out bottles of breast milk to be kept in the fridge. I also hear that there are people who breastfeed their child up to 6 months without giving any milk formula. Wow! That would mean buckets and buckets of breast milk. Heck! They could open a breast milk factory!

I do not have much breast milk. I did try to breastfeed as much as I can in order to stimulate the production of breast milk. However, after breastfeeding for about 15 to 30 minutes, my baby still needs at least 3 - 4 oz of milk formula to satisfy her hunger. It seems that there is no difference whether I breastfeed her or not, as without breastfeeding, most of the time, she also consumes 3 - 4 oz of milk formula.

I wonder how true is the saying that those who give birth naturally have more breast milk than those who underwent Caesarian section. I have heard of this before but then I do not agree with it. Sometimes, it just worries me that I am not giving enough breast milk to my baby. Breast milk supposedly is the best food for the baby. Children who feed on breast milk are usually stronger and healthier and do not fall sick easily.

Hmm... at most, after pumping hard and estimating the amount that I breastfeed my baby, there is probably a maximum of 2 oz of breast milk per day. What the heck! That is just one drop in the bucket. I am still trying hard.

I wish I were a cow!

~ Posted 4th January 2007 in Friendster Blog

No comments: