Tuesday, February 6, 2007

First Trimester

Yes, I'm talking about the first trimester of pregnancy. From resources in the internet, the first trimester is defined as the first 3 months of pregnancy. During these first 3 months, you will experience alot of changes to your body. Among the changes are breasts changes, tiredness, mood changes, nausea and vomitting, frequency of urination, gastrointestinal symptoms, dizziness, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, increased heartrate, excess saliva, heartburn and indigestion, appetite increase and cravings. Yes, all these are general symptoms during the first trimester but not all women will experience the same symptoms during their pregnancy.

For me, my own definition of the first trimester is NAUSEA and VOMITTING in capital letters. I could not stop having the nausea feeling all the time and I vomitted most of the food that I tried to force myself to eat. It was a horrible feeling. I started vomitting in week 6. I vomitted till my throat was sore and my stomach was totally empty, except for some sour gastric juices. Apart from that, I also had alot of gas in my stomach, making me burping non-stop throughout the day. People were saying that appetite and cravings should increase. Well, heck! No way! I ate way, way less than when before I was pregnant. I even lose some weight and looked tired, haggard and thin. That was how bad my appetite and vomitting was. I also had constipation to add on to my already difficult situation.

Comparing myself with other pregnant women, my case was generally a little worse than normal although there were other women who were more badly hit by the symptoms than me. I could still drive and go to work despite all those so-called morning sickness. Believe me! It's not just morning sickness! It's whole day sickness for me. But then, some women had to lie in bed for 9 months and some women looks so cheerful and healthy with no morning sickness at all. I was somewhere in between the two extremes, more towards the morning sickness extreme though.

My husband and family were very worried looking at my condition. I tried my best to eat as much as I can but then again, all the food will come back out after awhile. People around me kept encouraging me, saying that the nausea and vomitting will stop soon when I enter the second trimester and so I persevered.

~ Posted 1st December 2006 in Friendster Blog

No comments: