Saturday, February 10, 2007

Old Folks' Belief

In our chinese culture, there are still alot of old folks' beliefs and superstitions, which are being practised even in our modern day living. We often hear sayings like

~ Don't sweep the floor during CNY.
Supposedly this will cause all good luck to be swept away. But my father sweeps the floor every first day of CNY anyway.

~ Don't walk under the ladder or staircase.
It is believed that you'll have bad luck if you do this. I've walked under ladders and staircase numerous times. I've got bad and good luck numerous times too. But I don't blame my bad luck on ladders and staircase anyway. It's just not logic.

~ Don't eat or drink standing up.
There are a number of reasons for this belief. Some say, you'll be a beggar. Some say, you'll have bad luck. Others say, you won't be able to control your bladder activity when you grow older. (Aiya, wear diapers lo!)

There are lots and lots of other beliefs. The list is endless. These beliefs are passed down from one generation to another. The cycle will never end unless one generation choose not to believe all those beliefs and superstitions.

My own belief is that all those old folks' beliefs and superstitions are for a reason. People in the olden days might have purposely create tales to teach the younger generation some lessons in life or to instill moral values in them. For example, you should not eat or drink standing up because your parents would want you to sit down at the dining table to dine together as a family. I can think of alot of valid reasons for each belief and superstition but then I'm too lazy to list them down there's just too much to write.

However, I would like to highlight one belief. There is a saying that you should not criticise or say something bad about someone, otherwise you would end up being with that person. Let me share with you a story.

Back in 1995, I enrolled for Add Maths tuition at a tuition centre. I was new and I did not have any familiar friends with me there. I was also too shy to make new friends. And so I just sat quietly at the back of the classroom. My attention, however, was always distracted, as there was a guy who was very talkative in class. I was rather annoyed that he could not stop talking to a group of friends. To add to my annoyance, Mr Talkative always wore a pair of big, black basketball shoes, which I thought was ugly. (That's right! Keep criticising.)

So, every lesson, I had to endure Mr Talkative and his big, black, ugly shoes. Luckily, I changed to another tuition centre after a few months. But that was not the end of Mr Talkative. I saw him again when I went to the public library to study. Fortunately, it's the public library, so he can't talk alot.

I had forgotten all about Mr Talkative after that. I went on to university. One month after orientation...OMG! There's Mr Talkative again! I can't believe my eyes. He's in the same university as I am. Being a small university back then, almost everyone in campus knew each other. And so, it was not long when I officially made friends with Mr Talkative, who turned out to be the former classmate of my coursemate.

The funny thing is that
~ one year after I criticise him, I saw him at the public library
~ three years after I criticise him, I saw him at my university
~ four years after I criticise him, I made friends with him
~ and ten years after I criticise him, he became my husband!

LOL!

So, that's right. Old folks say don't criticise someone or you might end up being with that person. To me, I wonder if it's fate or simply coincidence. Definitely not old folks' belief!

And yes, he's still talkative and no, I don't allow him to buy any more big, black, ugly shoes!

P/S: I would like to apologise to my husband for calling him Mr Talkative in this entry. I realised, if he is Mr Talkative, that would make me Mrs Talkative! LOL!

1 comment:

zZz said...

Hello new reader here. Hehe.. I have to agree with you about the later part of this entry. It happens almost all the time. One should never hate the other party (especially the opposite gender) for you'll end up together/becoming good friends... :D