Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Town Kid Syndrome

A few days ago, I begin to have the "town kid" feeling again. My friends were chatting gaily in the car about the life they had when they were little. They talked about alot of trees and plants that they played with. I never knew that trees and plants can be such fun toys to play with.

They were talking about some kind of tree where the small branch or twig could be used as "lastic". They were talking about a wild grass that could be used as a toy to have a duel to see whose grass is stronger and won't break. They were also talking about another kind of wild grass that looked like seaweed, where you can break one part of it and fix it back to another part of the grass and ask your friend to guess which part is the fake part.

My gosh! I feel so out-dated. There were also wild plants that you can extract certain parts of it to be eaten. There's also rice cooked in pitcher plant. Heck! I have not even heard of rice cooked in pitcher plant before, let alone eat it. They said that it's delicious.


I'm also embarrassed to admit that I did not know that old coconuts have a core that can be eaten and according to them, it's crunchy and delicious.

To add to my ignorance, here's another example. My friend gave me some "kampung chicken eggs" the other day.

Friend: Here, this is for you.
Me: Oh, thanks. Salted eggs ka?
Friend: No, la. Kampung chicken eggs.
Me: Why look like salted eggs one?
Friend: Kampung chicken eggs are like that one la!
Me: Oh... (face abit red)

Duh! She must be thinking that I'm hopeless. I'm also very embarrassed to admit that I have never noticed before this how "kampung chicken eggs" looked like. I thought that the eggs looked like the normal eggs that we usually have. Turns out that they are a little smaller and have a lighter coloured shell.


Okay, I'm beginning to learn more about those wild plants and grass. I have given an errand to my friend, that if she goes back to her village, she should pluck out and bring back whatever that she has mentioned in our conversations before this to show them to me. So, I'll learn and hopefully would not embarrass myself in the future.

1 comment:

Snap no Stevun said...

FUNNY, IN KUCHING, KAMPUNG CHICKEN EGG [FREE RANGE & ORGANIC] IS SMALLER THAN THE 'BATTERY BOX' OR CAGED CHICKEN EGG...HORMONE INJECTION? IN PERTH, WHEN WERE WERE GIVEN ANG MO KAMPUNG CHICKEN EGG, FREE RANGE LAR, IT IS BIGGER THAN THE CAGED EGG??? STRANGE