Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"Aunty"

"Aunty" is a term given to a female
- who is of age
- who is in her 20s going on to 30s
- who recently gave birth and looked older because of that
- who gather in groups in the market and gossip
- who nags and nags non-stop to a few kids tagging along

Other names for "Aunty" include "Makcik", "Si lai" and "Ah Sam". Here are excerpts of conversations I had with a few people.

My husband...

Me: Tell me honestly...I look like "aunty" or not after giving birth?
Husband: No la.
Me: Really or not? Or just saying that coz you're scared I scold you?
Husband: Really la. Don't look like "aunty" YET. Maybe in a few years time. Haha..
Me: @#$%!

My sister-in-law who is younger than me...

Me: I look like "aunty" or not after giving birth?
Sis-in-law: Hahahaha...no la, who say you look like "aunty"?
Me: No la, I'm just asking.
Sis-in-law: I look more like "aunty" la.
Me: No la, if you look like "aunty", I look like grandma lor...
Sis-in-law: Hahahahaha...no la, you're so small size, don't look old.
Me: Our grandma also small size leh...

My coconut lover friend...

Me: I look like "aunty" or not after giving birth?
Friend: No la. You look like small kid.
Me: Ah? What small kid? Hahahahaha...

Another friend...

Me: I look like "aunty" or not after giving birth?
Friend: No la. Who said that? Don't worry la.
Me: (Feel relief)
Friend: XXX look more like "aunty". Hahahaha, I'm so bad. No la...not look like "aunty" la but look abit older.

* XXX - (name removed to protect identity)

Now I understand why some older people experience mid-life crisis. I'm beginning to experience the "Aunty-Look Crisis" now.

No comments: