Monday, August 27, 2007

Life-Long Learning

Some time ago, a friend of mine raised this question, "How many years have you been to school for?" It made me pondered awhile. Calculating in my mind, I had...

2 years of kindergarten, which I can only recall bits and pieces of, like dressing up in a nice, white dress and performing in the year end concert :p

6 years of primary school, during which I joined the band and played the drum once, did track and field events and was a member of Brownies

7 years of secondary school, where I vividly remembered how torturing studying History was and how interesting and exciting the lab sessions were, did abit of track and field and played alot of badminton and table tennis, had posts and memberships in 20 clubs more or less and fell asleep a few times in Physics class and my Physics teacher, who was really kind, thought I was sick (Umm...I'm not sick, I'm just sleepy, a normal syndrome of over-stressed secondary school kids)

3 years of undergraduate studies, during which I really enjoyed myself despite the assignments, projects and exams, made lots of good friends, 3 of whom were the closest till this day (we were known back then as the 4 Musketeers), went dating with Mr Talkative and his big, black shoes :p (Umm..no la, he did not have any more big, black shoes then, just big shoes)

and 2 years of postgraduate, where I learnt alot under the supervision of an intelligent, smart, kind, patient, caring and understanding supervisor, who pushed me to do better and better each day.

That's a total of 20 years of education. At the age of 28, that is approximately 71% of my life I've been to school for. This number has to be added to a projected 3 more years of postgraduate studies to come over the next 5 years. This statistics is not much, compared to my cousin who went to pre-school at the age of 2 years old or compared with some others who never stop attending school even though they have graduated.

Learning is a life-long process. You never stop learning whether or not you attend school. I truly believe that learning helps us handle our lives better. The knowledge that you gained over the years of learning will last you for a lifetime. I feel much more secure with the fact that I have knowledge in my head rather than cash in my pocket. But of course, I do not mind having cash in my pocket. Then, I can buy more Kinder Bueno. Hehe...

1 comment:

Snap no Stevun said...

Eh, are you hinting on something about Bueno? =P