Sunday, December 23, 2007

4-in-1

The other day when I was driving home, I trailed behind this motorcycle that was carrying 4 people on it. The sight of it made me cringed. A man handled and drove the motorcycle, with his son, who was about 6 years old, sitting in front with his legs bent and rested on the handle bar, his wife, sitting behind him, holding a little girl who looks about 3 years of age on one side of her lap, half jutting out of the safe seat perimeter of the motorcycle. The little girl, obviously oblivious to the dangerous position she was in, was looking intently on something she held in her hand. Both adults wore safety helmets but both kids had none on them.

All the while, my car was trailing behind them. I was reluctant to overtake as my mind churn waves of thoughts of situations like this, which was all too familiar in the city of Kuching. In my heart, I murmured a prayer. "Dear God, please keep this family safe no matter where they go. Please make sure that they get home safely. Please let them afford a car."

As I was praying, I felt a pang of anger. Life is never fair. This family had to expose themselves to danger because they did not have a car. But there are lots of family out there, with plenty of cars in their houses. I thought about rich kids, whose parents bought them Mercedes or BMW for their 18th birthday. But then again, life is never fair. This brought my thoughts to numerous times when I saw mothers carrying new borns or very young babies while fathers drove their motorcycles. I really symphatize with them. I always prayed hard that nothing bad will happen to them and that they will get home safely. But then, what else can I do besides praying?

I sighed heavily. What can I do about it? I had no idea. The rich is getting richer , the poor getting poorer and the average sandwich in between.

It's just so heart-wrenching. Dear God, please provide for all those in need, be it body or soul, physical or spiritual. Thank you. Amen.

No comments: