Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sightseeing in London

Our drive from Liverpool to London took an astounding 6 hours and 30 minutes because of the traffic jam on the motorway, particularly from Liverpool to Birmingham. It was not such a good idea after all to travel on the last bank holiday weekend before schools reopen.

Since this was our first trip to London, we did what typical tourists would do, that is to visit all those touristy places. London Waterloo station was our first stop. It was a Saturday on a bank holiday weekend and the station was packed with people.

From there, we walked to the London Eye, a really magnificent piece of steel work.

As expected, the queue was really long, so we could not get on it. Chubby kid dislikes waiting in queue and will make so much noise that you can hardly pacify her. Instead, we stopped by the London Sea Life Aquarium. Here, chubby kid enjoyed herself looking at those fishes and roaming freely around.

Across the River Thames is the Houses of Parliament. Yeah, I finally get to see Big Ben :-).

Here is a picture of the Houses of Parliament up close.

One thing to note though, London tube stations are a nightmare for people with strollers. Most stations do not have any lift and you have to carry strollers up and down lots of flights of stairs. Using the stroller on the escalators are quite scary too, as the escalators go deep underground. See how high we have to go from the bottom.

Our next destination was the famous Borough market. On a Saturday, the market was bustling with people and there were all sorts of food stuffs on sale.

Then, we proceeded to the "London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down...".

Just nearby is the Tower Bridge, which is always mistakenly known as London Bridge.

Next, we headed to Greenwich to the grounds of the Royal Observatory and Greenwich park, which houses the National Maritime Museum, the Queen's house and the Royal Observatory.

Since we were pressed for time, we did not visit the National Maritime Museum and the Queen's house. We just headed straight to the Royal Observatory, which was quite a long walk uphill.

And finally, I was able to step on the Prime Meridian line, the line that separates the eastern and the western hemisphere - Longitude 0 degree.

The view from up here was magnificent. The park was huge and there were lots of people having picnics there.

The Greenwich market is also as good as the Borough market, although it has more knick-knacks and less food stuffs.

We then headed to the St. Paul's Cathedral.

Unfortunately, we could not take any photos beyond this point.

But it was magnificent inside. Truly magnificent.

Chinatown was our next stop.

We found some durians here.

Some friends mentioned that there is this restaurant called Four Seasons that sells very nice roasted duck. So, we went there to have a try.

I would say it was just so-so. Nothing too spectacular about it and the waiter was not too friendly either. We have better tasting roasted duck and services back in Kuching.

After filling our stomachs, we walked around Leicester Square and headed towards Trafalgar Square. Trafalgar Square was swarmed with people.

This is the National Gallery. We did not manage to visit it this time but there is always a next time.

This ended our first day of sightseeing in London.


melovesfood said...

Steph, banyak nye tempat u dpt pegi on the first day? mostly by car ke train?

chuasteph said...

mimah, we use train and tube. just buy a day travel card and you can use it on any public transport according to the zone you buy.

melovesfood said...

yupp, we did the same. But then I saw you pics, for one whole day banyak betol tempat you pegi.. hebat la u steph.. :)