Thursday, July 12, 2012

Confinement? What Confinement?

When I had chubby kid, being my first pregnancy, I tried to adhere to all "advice" (read old folks' beliefs and superstitions) on pregnancy and confinement, even though a lot of them were illogical. Come to think of it, it was ridiculous that I succumbed to such illogical practices. I am not the kind of person who normally follow conservative practices, particularly if they do not make any sense. I will only follow practices which scientifically made sense to me.

So, it was good that during this pregnancy, I was not back in Kuching under the watchful eyes of the elders. During the "confinement" period however, my mum was here to help for three months. I, of course, chose to be oblivious to all cultural beliefs no matter how much my mum nagged. I ate what I wanted to eat and I did what I wanted to do. I felt happy that I did not need to be enclosed in this cultural bubble because people here did not practise all that. It was like attaining a sense of freedom from being tied down to following ridiculous and illogical rules. I had delicious food. I had clean hair. I went to attend chubby kid's Christmas play. I went out shopping. Oh well, what can I say? I basically led a normal life.

2 comments:

Nana said...

should i consider to hv 2nd bb oversea too?? hahahaha confinement here is jus too scary!

chuasteph said...

:-) yes you should. nothing bad happens from leading a "normal" life during the confinement period.